Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bullying is Systemic

I was laying in the dentist chair waiting for the freezing to take (which it didn't and is an entirely different story) when I was struck soundly with the fact that bullying is everywhere!


My dentist is perfectly nice, so I don't mean she was bullying me. Rather, it was the television ads that got me. I listened to no less than three spots in a row for the upcoming election and I heard man after man attack his opponent. In each case, the rules of the game involved putting another human being down, pointing out his flaws and clarifying that one person is vastly superior to the other.

How do we expect our children to behave differently?

Yesterday, I listened to the NPR discussion about the changes to NFL rulings on helmet hits. Again, I was struck by the fact that football players who hit the hardest have the greatest success. Many players are offended by the request to take their violence down a notch. The only way to win is to be aggressive and hit hard.

How do we expect our children to behave differently?

Sigh, the world we live in is consistently and repeatedly set up in a hierarchy of the richest, the thinnest, the toughest - always there will be winners and always there will be losers.

I find this intolerable.

No comments: