Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Close Call

I had the scariest tornado experience last week - after the tv said all the fronts had gone by, I was watching tv and heard a loud roar. I stepped out on our front porch and all was still - eerie. I could hear a loud roar - like a train or very loud waterfall roaring in the sky just at the end of our road - seemed like maybe a 1/4 mile away. It got louder and softer, louder again .... I stood outside the kids' bedrooms and just listened. I had my hands under Lucas' back ready to move him at one point, but changed my mind. I was going to take him and Mya to our inner hallway and haul a mattress over us since there wouldn't have been time to get under our house to our dirt storage area. I had taken them down there around 6pm that night but the tornado faded before it got to us that time.

Whew - usually I'm not too scared - I kind of believe that if you are going to get hit, you are going to get hit and no amount of fear and worry can change that too much. But, I was overwhelmed with keeping the kids safe - I had visions of losing my grip on them or watching them get hit by debris etc .... it's like I could handled myself, but my fear was deep for protecting the kids. Craig was in town having a beer and didn't want to come home across the tornado path. I'm trying to hold onto the lesson of perspective the tornado brought and let go of the anxiety. Life is short, life is good and each moment is precious .... bet I don't need to tell you that :)

No comments: